Gout is a very painful disease. It is a kind of arthritis which is developed when levels of uric acid in the body goes high and cannot be eliminated. The uric acid transforms into crystal like particles and dwell upon the different joints in the body that causes inflammation.
People suffering from gout usually experience painful gout attacks and the swelling or inflammation of joints. The most common joint affected by gout is the base of the big foot. It can also affect other joints in the body such as the ankles, knees, elbows, hands, and fingers. To some people, the pain is so severe that even a slight touch to the affected part brings so much pain.
Gouty pain is triggered by eating foods with high purine, such as red meat, organ meat, beans, and seafood. It can also be caused by over indulgence to alcohol. When symptoms of gout are felt, it is best to provide immediate treatment or consult your doctor for proper medication.
Food is a contributing factor to the treatment of gout. There are certain foods, which aid in gout treatment. Such foods include fresh fruits. Fresh fruits are filled with vitamins and minerals, which are good for the body. Research shows that eating fresh fruits work effectively in providing relief for gout pain simply by flushing away harmful toxins and uric acid in the body. Some of the best fruits for gout are the following:
- Cherry – Cherry is one of the best fruits for gout treatment. Cherry is also known as “Super Fruit” because of its many health benefits. It would be perfect if fresh cherries would be added to the meal plan. Cherries contain powerful antioxidants that help strengthen the immune system. Cherries also contain fiber that helps people lose weight. Losing weight is one important factor to be considered in preventing gout attacks.
- Pineapple – Pineapple is a tropical fruit that can mostly be found in Asian countries, especially in the Philippines. The proteolytic enzymes in pineapples are known to be an effective anti-inflammatory agent.
- Strawberry – Eating strawberries is a great help in relieving and preventing gout pains. Strawberries are rich in Vitamin C and folic acid that are good for getting rid of the excess uric acid in the body. Strawberries are best eaten fresh, so it is better to buy them when they are in season.
- Apple – Apples are regarded as excellent fruits to treat gout. An apple every meal keeps gout away. Apple contains malic acid, which is known to neutralize uric acid in the body and help relief the symptoms of gout.
- Bananas – Bananas are also one of the best fruits for gout. Bananas contain potassium that helps liquefy uric acid. Through liquefication, the crystalized uric acid in the joints will be moved and flushed out of the body.
- Vitamin C-rich fruits – Vitamin C is a very helpful vitamin, which prevents and treats pain and inflammation that could happen to people with gout. Vitamin C-rich fruits include oranges, grapefruit, papaya, plums, mangoes, tomatoes, watermelon, and strawberries.