Over-the-counter Medications For Gout
Gout is undeniably painful. Those who are suffering from gout experience swelling and inflammation of joints that cause pain that may last for quite some time. Gout may be caused by the food we eat or at times may be caused by hereditary factors. Yes, it is hereditary. It is not contagious, though.
Painful attacks of gout may be triggered by a sudden change in the uric acid levels, which may be caused by excessive intake of alcoholic beverages, eating too much red meat and internal organs. Gender and age factors also contribute to the development of gout. There are more chances that men develop gout than women. Being overweight is also one reason for having gout as there becomes more tissue in the body available for breakdown that leads to excessive production of uric acid.
Gout treatment involves certain kinds of medications prescribed by physicians. Before taking any medications, it is best to consult your doctor. Some medications will react to your body’s present health conditions. It is necessary to discuss with your doctor before taking gout medications.
Some gout medications can be purchased over the counter. Some of the over-the-counter medications for gout are the following:
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) – Doctors may advice gout patients to take Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for relief in inflammation and pain, but these have no effect on the amount of uric acid in the body for long lasting . Some of the NSAIDs that can be purchased over the counter are ibuprofen, indomethacin, and naproxen. NSAIDs may be very effective in relieving gout pains, but it may also cause some side effects like stomach pain and ulcer.
- Colchicines – If you are unable to take NSAIDs, your doctor might prescribe colchicines. It is a kind of pain reliever that effectively cures pain and inflammation. This over the counter medication is a fast and effective gout treatment but may also cause some side effects.
- Corticosteroids – Corticosteroids can also be very effective. These drugs help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation.
Before buying over the counter medications for gout, here are some of the things that you should remember.
- Always consult your doctor. You may think that over the counter medicines are not harmful because they are easy to obtain. However, the fact is, you might not be well enough to take those medicines. Some medicines may contradict your present health conditions and cause mild or serious complications. It is always best to ask the expert.
- For people who suffer gout, buying NSAIDs over the counter may be very easy as no prescription is needed to purchase it. However, these over the counter medication for gout may cause different side effect. So, it is always advised to consult your physician.
- Beware of taking aspirin. Aspirin is known to be an effective pain reliever, but it can also raise the level of uric acid, which is not good for those who suffer from gout.
It is important to ask your doctor first before purchasing over the counter medications for gout.