Uric acid is produced by the breakdown of purines in food by the body. Uric acid is normally excreted from the blood by the kidneys through urine excretion. Extremely high levels of uric acid in the blood can cause crystallization of the uric acid. These crystals are then deposited in the joints causing swelling, redness, stiffness and severe pain.
Before using herbs for gout uric acid removal, it is important to change your diet to eliminate foods that have high purine levels. Organ meat, red meat, shellfish and small fish such as anchovies and roe should be avoided or limited. Do not consume alcohol. Uric acid is insoluble in alcohol. As the alcohol level increases, the ability of the blood to dissolve uric acid decreases and the excess uric acid crystallizes. Excessive alcohol consumption decreases the function of the kidneys compounding gout problems. It is important to stay hydrated. Drink six to eight glasses of water daily to increase urine production which aids in eliminating excess uric acid in the blood and promotes healthy kidney function.
Now that you have addressed your diet, the following herbs for gout uric acid have been used for centuries. These herbs can be taken in pill form or used in teas or tinctures.
- Autumn Crocus (Colchicum Autumnale) which is used to make the drug colchicine is a conventional treatment for gout. The herb and the drug have significant toxicity and should only be used under supervision by a physician.
- Celery seed or celery seed extract can stimulate the removal of uric acid.
- Devils Claw (Harpagophytum procumbens) relieves joint pain, and reduces serum cholesterol and uric acid levels.
- Gravel root (Eupatorium pu1pureum) is used for the removal of uric acid.
- Bilberry, Hawthorn, Cherry, Blueberry and other dark blue/red berries have anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins which have shown to reduce uric acid levels and inhibits tissue destruction.
- Juniper berry is a diuretic which increases urine production, thus eliminating excess uric acid.
- Nettle root helps the kidneys eliminate uric acid.
- Pine Bark and grape seed extract act as in anti-inflammatory decreasing pain and stiffness.
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory that has been used to treat many inflammatory diseases such as arthritis and gout.
The following combinations of herbs for gout uric acid have proven successful for many gout sufferers. These teas, tinctures, and compresses are used for uric acid elimination and to ease the symptoms of gout.
- Parsley juice, celery seed extract and birch leaf will help flush uric acid from the blood and tissues. It may also reduce the production of uric acid.
- Horsetail or stinging nettle tea or a combination of the two drank three times a day will dissolve the uric acid crystals in the joints. After three weeks, drink once a day as maintenance.
- Extract of stinging nettle can be applied to the joint to relieve pain.
- A poultice of birch leaves applied to the affected area for one to two hours a day will help relieve stiffness, pain and swelling.
- St. John’s Wort oil can be massaged into joint and a poultice of crushed red cabbage applied overnight.
Herbs for gout uric acid are numerous and come in a variety of forms. If you are taking any prescription medication, check with your physician before implementing an herbal therapy.